Prev: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:57:17 -0500
Subject: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:05:46 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Brian Burger <yh728@victoria.tc.ca>
>Subject: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!
>
>On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Edward Lipsett wrote:
>
>>Upon reading that line, my immediate question is "Why is it possible
to do
>>so?" An interlock would cost maybe US$10 and solve any safety problem.
>>This is a common design philosophy error in designing industrial
machinery
>>of all kinds.

The hatch is built into the ramp and the track was built in the late
1950's and early 1960's  when
reasonable safety did not extend to dummy proofing a hatch door. I will
also say that in use with the
US and German Armies I never did see the hatch open on any M113 when the

ramp went down.
The driver had to turn around to release the ramp lock and  a quick
glance at the
ramp was  natural. What I was more worried about was dropping the ramp
on someone which was
more likely with the dead vision area behind the track.

As a side issue every German track that I came across "in position" had
it's "standard issue" case of beer
under the ramp ready to be expended as needed (usually at night when
things quieted down). I had to
get by with my case of coke which kept me going  (I am a carboholic) in
a less social manor.

Scott Siebold

Prev: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME!