Prev: Re: [SG] GMS vs. Infantry Next: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!

Re: [FT] Missile magazines

From: Jon Davis <davisje@n...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:56:25 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Missile magazines

Roger Burton West wrote:

> On or about Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 06:10:27PM -0400, Jon Davis typed:
> >One of the sillier aspects, of FT, is that, a crippled ship with only
two hull
> >boxes left and massive thresholded systems, could, given time, be
fully
> >functional by that devoted damage control team.
> >The only systems they couldn't fix are the 'needle beamed' targets.
>
> Fully functional, yes, but will pop as soon as anybody sneezes at it.
> "We didn't know there was this much baling wire on the ship..."
>
> Given the threshold points in the first place, I think it's a
reasonable
> abstraction.

It is.	Given the time it takes to roll thresholds on the table top,
it's
a simple and reasonable abstraction.

By comparison, the FTJava code rolls thresholds for all systems at each
level.	A second threshold failure results in a destroyed system and
is unable to be repaired by the damage control crews.  It's very
frustrating
for a ship to have its fire controls 'destroyed' completely, but it's a
suitable abstraction for the computer moderated version.

Prev: Re: [SG] GMS vs. Infantry Next: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!