Prev: Re: [SG] UNSCMC Interface Company TO&E Next: Re: [FT] Missile magazines

RE: [FT] Missile magazines

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:18:20 -0600
Subject: RE: [FT] Missile magazines

I would tend to agree with the view that Magazines and bays are
repairable.  In FT, it appears that when a system is hit (i.e. fails a
threshold check) then it represents a system failure that prevents the
use of the system.  It does not necessarily represent the actual system
being hit, destroyed, mangled.	The repair roll then represents back-up
system, re-routing or minor repairs that allow the system to be used
again.	Multiple failed repair rolls would indicate that the damage is
so severe that such measures are ineffective.

So if a fighter bay is lost to a threshold check, it may represent the
mechanism for the opening the bay doors has failed - making the fighters
inside useless since they can't get out.  A successful repair roll on
such a system might represent backup motors being used or they blew the
explosive bolts on the doors to release them.  If a player tried three
times to repair the system it could represent that the bay was actually
hit and there isn't much salvageble from the mess.

"Captain, fighter bay #3 was hit, damage control is reporting in...
Inital assesment is that the bay doors are jammed and it will take 10
minutes to clear."  "Captain, Sargeant Smithers reports that the damage
is greater than first estimated and that main power and secondary power
is out to the bay.  They are attempting to clear the doors manually."
"Sir, the fighter bay is a write-off, Sargeant Smithers estimates it
will take dock work to release the doors."

Based on this assumption, if a magazine were lost due to a threshold
check, the missiles might still be intact, but the computer system
controlling the feed mechanism shut down.  In that case, a simple repair
roll (patching in the backup computer, manually controlling the feed
mechanism etc.) would bring that system back on-line.

Actual physical damage to the ship appears to be based solely on hull
points.

Perhaps such items as hangars and magazines should be subjected to TWO
threshold check rolls, one for the component and one for the contents.

--Binhan