Prev: Re: Painting Question Next: Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500

Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:36:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500

From: Allan Goodall agoodall@att.net
>vehicle giving covering fire while the troops move. Chris doesn't like
the
24" movement for the vehicle and then the troops disembarking. Adrian
and I
have been arguing that we can live with it, since realistically the
vehicle
shouldn't have a problem moving even 24" in reality.

No.  What I don't like is that a vehicle which stops and unloads troops
can
move every bit as far as one which spends the whole turn driving as fast
as
it can.  If the vehicle has to slow/stop to let the troops out, then it
shouldn't move as far as one which doesn't.

>If you let the vehicle pay the cost of disembarking the troops, the
vehicle
moves and then they jump out 6". They are now _out of the vehicle_. They
are
no longer vulnerable.

Stand in front of a SAW and say that again.<g>

>The difference is that the vehicle is now operating 12" away from the
troops, not 6". The vehicle can be much less vulnerable than it
currently
is.

On the other hand, the troops can't get back and load up in one
activation
(unless they luck out on combat move)

>then fire their weapons. In Chris' system, since the troops still have
two
actions left, they can move 6" through woods (3" free disembarking, 3"
on
their activation) and fire. This gives troops in vehicles a lot more
mobility in terrain where they should be more penalized.

An extra 30 meters in 5 minutes.  Not what I'd think of as a major
problem.
(Yes, I've been in thick brambles on steep slopes where it would be a
problem--but that really ought to be worse than  x 1/2 movement rate,
more
like 1/10).

>Chris also suggested letting either the vehicle or the troops pay the
cost. I can see munchkinism at play here. <--snip-->This is sort of
wasteful, but you only have a short window of opportunity to target the
vehicle full of infantry.

Catch'em while they're out of the vehicle.  This plan goes to pieces
once
you start suppressing the squaddies.
(The better solution, of course, is to leap up, seize a handy blunt
object,
and beat your opponent about the head if he tries this sort of
thing--but
you've just moved from Canada so probably are too inhibited to do this).

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: Re: Painting Question Next: Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500