Prev: RE: Reactive Armor Next: Re: Painting Question

Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:04:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 02:05:42 -0400, Adrian Johnson
<adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Though when it comes right down to it, 12" for an RFAC (20mm cannon,
say)
>might be a bit short, too.
>
>24" range bands for heavy weapons is looking a bit better, though this
>means that bigger targets will be in the first couple of rangebands
almost
>always.

I thought of another way of doing it. See what you think about it.

Squads in SG2 use quality to define the size of a range band. Why not go
this
route with vehicles, as well?

Take the Quality Die type in inches, and then double it. This would be
the
base range band size for vehicular weapons. A Green crew would have 12"
range
bands. A Regular crew, though, would have 16" range bands. A Veteran
crew
would get to extend it to 20", etc.

This falls between the 12" that are present now, and the 24" that may be
a bit
much. It also makes more use out of the crew's quality.

Now the RFAC/1 has a bit longer range than a squad support weapon. The
maximum
range a machine gun with a squad could fire is 12" per range band if it
was
elite. A regular crew on an RFAC/1 would have a 4" per range band edge
over
them.

This still doesn't fix the problem of a squad in hard cover being able
to take
out a vehicle without the vehicle being able to suppress them with an
RFAC/1.
It does extend the range at which the RFAC can do this, though.

I'm also thinking more about my suggestion of making range band shifts
for
cover open rather than a closed shift. You could shift the QD down one
for the
attacker for each range band over 5. This allows a potential suppression
result anywhere on the board. I would suggest that this be allowed
_only_ for
vehicle mounted weapons. It's too easy to unbalance the game if you
allow it
for squads (which typically roll three or more dice anyway). This
suggestion
could be used with extended range bands or on its own.

>This might work for the "heavy-weapons vs. infantry" problem, but would
>make armoured targets *even weaker* than they already are...

Only against other vehicles, which is perhaps not that big a problem.

>I like TomB's suggestion re PA for GMS - that you allow PA to be
targeted
>like a point target, but shift up one for the guidance die, and only
take
>the hit on a single PA trooper.  How about doing the same for other
heavy
>weapons:  targeted as normal for infantry (whatever rangebands we end
up
>with, currently 12"), modify for cover etc., but when hits are worked
out,
>one attack die beating the defense die just gives a suppression.  Two
or
>more die beating the defense die gives a suppression to the squad and
>damages ONE PA trooper, who gets the FULL effect of the weapon.  So, a
PA
>squad targeted by a RFAC/2 suffering a damaging hit (FC + QD both beat
>defense die), then ONE PA trooper would suffer the d10x4 penetration
roll...

You know, I kind of like this. But only for single shot weapons. An
RFAC/2, it
seems to me, should be able to do damage to more than one PA trooper.
Also,
since a turn is like 5 minutes, I would think that even an HVC could
fire more
than one round at the PA guys. Perhaps the firer should have the option
of
aiming at one PA guy or at the squad in general (the way it would fire
at
regular infantry).

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:

Prev: RE: Reactive Armor Next: Re: Painting Question