Prev: Re: US Steppe cammo ? Next: Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500

[SG] Travel Mode/Vehicle movement rates

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:05:04 -0400
Subject: [SG] Travel Mode/Vehicle movement rates

Sitting here enjoying the joys of dial up (waiting
for something someone sent me to DL at
26400 bps and it is obviously monsterous...
we're up to about 15 mins now).... I got to
thinking about the "how fast do vehicles move".

Let's posit I'm in a convoy. Or in a rescue force
trying to "get somewhere". Let us assume for
the moment that the normal pause, wait, watch,
dart out routine isn't in place. As someone
pointed out, 2-5 minute turns suggest that a
vehicle should be able to move further than
480m.

Now, I'd suggest a modified version of Travel
Mode for vehicles only. Travel Mode movement
rates would depend on Ground Surface.

On average to poor terrain, 2 x normal
movement is probably fine. In really poor
terrain, this might even be really too fast. But in
good terrain (dirt road), one might get a 3 x
multiplier, and on a modern good quality
highway, as much as a 4x multiplier. Is this fast?
Oh yes. But then, if you're moving on a
highway, oughtn't it to be, if you aren't worried
about the risks of executing a travel move?

My thinking is also coloured by the belief that
some units ought to be able to move quicker to
begin with. A Grav Bike or FAV should dart
around faster than an APC. (Yes, over 5
minutes, they both might argue to cover the
same space, but since the darting tends to
leave you pinned between two bits of cover, I
think the speed differentiation could be argued
for).

Also, I do find it interesting that all powered
armour is made either 6" or 12" variety. No
one produced a set that moves 10" or 8". And
all vehicles are analogous in speeds. Hmmm.

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the
game design and simplicity reasons for this. I'm
just trying to see what happens if you alter
some of these things to reflect different
valuations. Will the system breakdown totally?
Dunno yet. Worth a look-by to my mind.

So, some basic ideas:
Very Slow PA - 4"
Slow PA - 6"
Average PA - 8"
Fast PA - 10"
Very Fast PA - 12"

(This also works for infantry walkers, though
most will tend to be in the Average to Very Fast
ranges).

Perhaps motorcycles and FAVs go 16" base
move. And grav bikes do 20" base move (note,
I have both d16 and d20, so the combat
moves are easy).

Perhaps slow tracked vehicles only move 8" or
10" base. Fast tracked can still be 12" as can
slow GEV. Fast GEV might be 16" as might Grav.

Is this a big difference? probably not. Just a bit
of flavour. Is it creeping elegance? Definitely,
though for some the discussion may be of
interest. Would I suggest these kinds of things
for everyone? Nope.

Just some musings while the bitpipe is flowing
s....l....o....w....l....y.....

We're up to about half an hour now. If someone
has sent me something stupid, I'm going to be
going futuristic (as in Aliens Nuke Em From
Orbit which beats medeival) on their keister....

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: US Steppe cammo ? Next: Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500