Prev: [SG] Vehicles and Infantry Next: [SG] Scalist Heresy, Heavy Weapons, Vehicles and Infantry

[SG] The Tuffley 500

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:43:35 -0400
Subject: [SG] The Tuffley 500

Okay Adrian, I'm calling you out.

On the one hand, you cite 480 m + 60 m as a
distance that a vehicle + infantry could easily
due in the notional 5 min period. Then you turn
around to say that the idea of moving 120m is
ridiculous. You can't really (on the one hand)
argue about "reasonable distances" and on the
other hand argue about the game being
abstract and limiting vehicles. Either you
consider the real distances and times involved
(hard to do, given the time as an abstract
quantity.... and then again you could explain to
me why RAW alows you (in theory) to close
assault and follow through right across the
board while the APC can only move 480m) or
you don't and only consider relative effects.

<caps below is for emphasis, not me yelling
and frothing>

I'm considering relative effects when I say my
APC, having used ALL OF THE TURN IT COULD
TO MOVE has moved X (whatever X is).
Similarly, your APC moves the same X, then
infantry moves AS FAR AS IT COULD IN A FULL
TURN. Something seems odd there. Actual
distance is utterly irrelevant. The point is I've
moved _AS FAR AS THE RULES LET THE UNIT
MOVE_.	Does it not strike you that two APCs,
both advancing, one that stops to let out
troops and the other that continues the
advance, should end up with the one that
stopped further behind (and probably with the
troops also behind the continually moving APC
as their movement shouldn't match the APCs)?
Instead we get the APCs parked at the same
place and the infantry RUSHING OUT AHEAD.

This just boils down to two schools of thought.
You like to consider "real numbers" in your
arguments. I'm only examining relative
performance which is utterly without reference
to time units or distance units. We've presented
both sides, and all listeners will make up their
own minds.

I suppose that means we can let this particular
subthread die. I agree that in games you
referee, I can live with your ruling as it makes
sense from a certain perspective. I think you
should similarly concede in games I referee, the
other perspective having some merit is
acceptable. Thus, as usual, it comes down to
"It's your game (as the ref), run it as you think
right." I support that PoV wholeheartedly.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: [SG] Vehicles and Infantry Next: [SG] Scalist Heresy, Heavy Weapons, Vehicles and Infantry