Prev: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions Next: [SG] More on APCs

Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:11:45 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@att.net>
> It's a matter of where the time slices end.

See also Terry Pratchett, The Thief of Time, towards the end of the
book when they're racing the lighting.

> Think of it this way: you stop the
> car. Your wife jumps out and runs towards the store. You move the
car forward
> into a parking spot 20 feet ahead of her (not because you're a
sadist, but
> because that spot just opened up. *grin*).
>For a brief instant, your wife was
> ahead of you even though you were in the faster vehicle.

Because I-the-vehicle expended an action to let my passenger debus.
<grin> So you agree with me...

> >What you might do is say *either* the vehicle *or* the squad has to
pay the
> >action.

The more I think about this suggestion (which, for those of you who
are just tuning in, was mine--not trying to make it look like I have a
plurality here), the more I like it.  If you want a little more
distance, use the squad's action to debus.  If you want your squad to
have time to go IP and start shooting, use a vehicle action to unload
them.  Simple, easy.

> I thought of a variation on the detached element rules. Say you have
a tank
> with four crew (Tank Commander, driver, loader, gunner). You could
consider
> the driver a detached element. The TC transfers an action to the
driver
> (allowing him two move actions), while still having one action left
over to
> fire. You may even want to require a communication roll. Sure,
they're in the
> same vehicle, but they are looking at different displays

Not necessariily  If it was me, I'd have the Driver have a large copy
of the Driver screen plus a smaller copy of the Gunner screen, and the
Gunner has the reverse.  Should always be able to see what the other
guy is doing so you can take advantage of it.

What I'm thinking of for FMA Brigade is that an action can be move,
shoot, or  shoot-then-move, but not move-then-shoot.  Shooting from
the more distant range accounts for instability in movement.

Or...you could say that the driver takes an action, the gunner takes
an action, and the TC, **if unbuttoned**, can pass along an action.
This gives you the incentive to stick your head up where people can
shoot it.  Although again, in the 2180's, this will no doubt be
absurd.

> vehicle with both for one action? If so, should it be restricted to
firing at
> the same target with all weapons, like in a squad?

Is a squad restricted to that?	I thought if you split fire you could

Prev: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions Next: [SG] More on APCs