Prev: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions Next: Re: [SG] Another pass through heavy weapons

Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:13:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions

--- Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> But that isn't what the Stargrunt movement system is
> trying to represent...
>  It is not going to work for a passenger car driving
> down the highway at
> 120kph, but it is intended to work for an APC, in
> battle, making *small*
> movements from cover to cover, jinking around the
> battlefield, etc etc.

I don't think I'm the only one on this mail list that
has actually served time as a dismount in a mechanized
unit on large-scale exercises.

It is NOT uncommon for us to spend _6_hours_ moving 6
km.

This is not because we are moving at a steady speed of
6 kmph.

This is because we are sprinting to a covered
position, waiting around for other elements to move,
sprinting again, etc, etc, etc.  This is why I get
plenty of sleep on the attack.	Waiting to do. . . not
much from a dismount's perspective.

> a) there have to be some limits on vehicles, or
> they'd move around the
> entire board in a 25mm stargrunt game virtually at
> will, and that would be
> too much of an advantage;

The obvious counterbalance would be to impair their
ability to spot dismounted troops sitting in a bush
with a big whonking GMS/H launcher and a stack of
missles.

> b) everything else in the game is limited by the
> nature of the turn
> sequence... so for example you have the situation
> where the more
> "realistic" speeding vehicle, driving 60", drives by
> 10 enemy squads who
> can't do anything about it because they've already
> been activated that
> turn...

Overwatch rules, which stargrunt.ca has.

Another balancing factor would be to do what DSII has
done to make infantry downright scary:	Treat GMS/L as
a size 3 weapon for damage purposes, and issue a
couple to each platoon.  Plus make IAVRs more
lethal--they are severely underrated in SGII.

> "...the timescale is... pretty irrelevant to normal
> play;  most real combat
> consists of sudden bursts of frantic firefight,
> separated by long periods
> of movement, scouting, observation and general
> inactivity."

Which proves he knows what he's talking about. . .

It really boils down to: Stargrunt is an infantry game
with vehicle rules bolted on.

John

Prev: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions Next: Re: [SG] Another pass through heavy weapons