Prev: RE: Found this just now and thought I'd share... Next: Re: Another APC question...

[SG] Discussion about weekend questions

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:27:10 -0400
Subject: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions

[Allan]:

The rules are clear on this one. Page 40.
You roll FC + QD
for the DFFG vs. Range Die for the infantry.
Casualties are
determined as per small arms fire. The
impact die, though,
is D8 versus the infantry's armour.

[Tomb] Okay, I've learned something.
However, let me point out that if you are
rolling a DFFG/5 or an APSW, you get the
same D8 for FireCon and the same D8 for
impact. Fascinating.....

[Tomb] Re HAMR: Yes, I think it is
overblown, but the RFAC still comes up
short relative to the much smaller Gauss
SAW. I think an RFAC/1 (20-30mm) really
requires an impact in the range of 2d6* or
2d8* or something or at the very least
D12*. Unlike some of the weapons (HVC
firing HE, etc), the RFAC fires probably AP
or API or some such kind of rounds that
likely will do impact hits. Giving it a D8
impact seems utterly inadequate, and even
giving it D10* (since the * will never play
into an infantry firefight due to the fact it
only matters attacking vehicles) isn't much
better. I've relegated the HAMR to d12* in
my world also.

[Tomb] As an aside, Adrian well described
the battle but he forgot to compliment the
FSE/ESU side for being good sportsmen
and playing out a retreat action after it
became obvious they'd get slaughtered if
they tried to press the attack.

[Tomb] Now, on the matter of crew bail
out, I think if the crew commander yells
"out out out!", the infantry probably should.
And although Ryan makes a good point
about bailing out at the wrong time, he
makes assumptions about training.
Probably well trained infantry won't bail out
unless the armour crew commander orders
a general bail out. Perhaps a green infantry
squad inside a disabled vehicle should take
a panic test, and if they fail, bail out
anyway even if the crew stays.

[Tomb] As to the abstract turn sequence
and vehicles and embarking/debarking
infantry.... I don't really think that the
abstract turn sequence is anything but a
red herring here. The point is a vehicle that
double moves has spent all the actions it
could possibly spend in one round moving.
It couldn't go any further. So does it then
make sense that an infantry squad could
debark from the vehicle and move freely?
(yes, I concede they spend one action).
Ultimately,  you get three actions worth of
movement when any other unit could get
but two.

The way I usually run it: Embark/debark
costs 1 action for both vehicle and troops.
You can only embark on an unactivated
vehicle and only debark from an activated
one. So, you have vehicle activates, moves
or fires, debarks troops. Troops, then
having automatically been activated, take
their one remaining action. For
embarkation, troops activate, move to the
vehicle, spend an action to embark, then
the vehicle takes its one remaining action,
usually drive away. No bookkeeping
complexity. Of course, another interesting
point was brought up: If a vehicle with
troops aboard decides to fire, instead of
move, why can't troops simultaneously
debark? The answer is, they probably could.
As to Tony's comment about how often
does this come up? For me, just about
every second game I see 3-6 vehicles on
the board, of which 50% are likely to be
APCs so quite regularly....

[Tomb] As to the resolution of vehicle fire
without special rules, (and yes, this makes
them a bit tougher):

1. Range bands are multiplied by weapon
size class. So an MDC 5 has 60" range
bands. (This is nasty.... a less nasty option
is just giving vehicle mounted heavy
weapons a 24" range band).

2. When firing at infantry behind a brick
wall, for example, ignore the cover.
Rationale: You aren't firing at the infantry.
You're firing at the brick wall. You're a tank
gunner.... you know your round hitting the
wall will punch down the wall and throw
bricks (or melt them) and anything behind
the wall is in a world of hurt. I'd give the
grunts the armour shifts, but the truth is
that a tank doesn't have to work too hard
to hit a small shack at 400m. Or, do what
Brian and I did when we worked on the
bunker rules. Assign the wall an armour
value (brick, say armour 1.... thick stone
maybe armour 2). Fire at the wall (call it a
size 1 chunk of wall). If you hit the wall,
roll damage (remembering to double if
major impact) and roll armour for the wall.
If you penetrate subject everyone inside to
D8 attack (or alternatively, you could keep
track of how much you penetrated by and
use that to figure how many casualties
then apply that many D8 attacks or
something like that).

A DFFG/5 in DS2 has a 6km range and
anything in the closer range bands dies
when it points at them. At 400m, it ought
to be a VERY BAD THING to have this
pointed at you.

Tomb.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: RE: Found this just now and thought I'd share... Next: Re: Another APC question...