Prev: [DS] Some questions from this weekend Next: [SG] Another weekend question

[SG] More questions from the weekend

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:27:50 -0400
Subject: [SG] More questions from the weekend

This weekend, we also played an SG2 battle,
and the following questions arose.

1) Debark/embark:
Does this take 1 action from the infantry and
one from the vehicle, or merely one from the
infantry and none from the vehicle? Adrian
argues that it takes only one from the infantry,
and I the opposite. He takes his from a
particular reading of the text passage in the
rules, I take mine from my reading of the same
passage and from DS2 which does inflict a
penalty on both (and from the fact it seems
odd your vehicle could move a full move then
so could your troops).

2) Does it seem sensible to anyone that an
infantry squad in hard cover can only be
targeted at 360m by a DFFG/4 or 5? That it
would be impossible for the tank to even
suppress the infantry at that range? (Same
question for the cupola HMG!) HMGs will reach
out to over 2km and tank guns to at least
double that. In firing at infantry with such
weapons, would it make sense to ignore the
range band shifts but still give the infantry the
armour shift benefits? Or just to up the size of
vehicle range bands? (Note: I am aware
vehicles are intentionally palsied... we just found
it odd that infantry could hit a tank who had NO
chance to effect them in reverse.....).

3) When a heavy weapon is fired at a squad
(said DFFG), the way it was resolved was FC +
QD vs. Range die, and casualties were
determined as infantry fire. OTOH, I maintain it
should have been resolved as FC + QD vs.
Range die, and if a hit was scored, all squad
members should take a D8 attack (heavy
weapons versus dispersed targets). Are either
of these right? Or are neither? If not, what is?

4) An HMG (RFAC/1) hit a PA squad. The RFAC
only does D10* impact. So it was D10 vs. D12.
The HAMR does 2d12 impact. Anyone think
there is something awry here? RFAC/1 is 20-
30mm. So how big exactly is the HAMR round?
If it isn't bigger, why aren't we issuing the RFAC
gunners with that variety of ammo? Or is the
HAMR just well over the top? (Note: An AAR
does D10 impact. The RFAC D10. Hmmmm....)
Thoughts?

Interesting facts:
The Queen's Own Rifles NAC infantry won the
day against the Gurkhas in the soccer match 1-
0. Later, the Gurkha forces managed a massive
(16 man, from three squads, including the two
man medic squad) close assault in repelling the
FSE and ESU interlopers, so all was well. One
FSE Squad actually lost three squad leaders in
two turns. And the Gurkhas got some ears.

A fun game, ran by Adrian. I think he should
have some pix of the basecamp attack (with the
Ghurkhas deployed playing soccer with the new
Anglians since we didn't know the reds and the
froggies were coming). The FSE did a
competent job of trying to extricate themselves
from a tough situation (given they attacked
without knowing they were facing anywhere near
as much force and given they lost a number of
GEVs to non-penetrating mobility kills).

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: [DS] Some questions from this weekend Next: [SG] Another weekend question