Prev: Re: [SG] more ww2 Next: Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

From: Ludo Toen <ludo.toen@p...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:24:49 +0200
Subject: Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

Flak Magnet wrote:

 > On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 17:11, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
 >
 >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Flak Magnet"
 >> <flakmagnet@tabletop-battlezone.com>
 >>
 >>> Definitely no missiles for WWII.
 >>>
 >> Actually, Germany developed and (very occasionally) used various
 >> missile types during the war. If you want to do an alternate
 >> history 'Wehrmacht 1946'  scenario you could use them. For a
 >> normal game, better leave them out.
 >>

 > Missiles, or rockets?  My understanding of the two terms is that
Missiles
 >  are guided, capable of in-flight adjustments to their trajectory
 > and rockets are "dumb" basically rising on a booster and falling
 > where the trajectory takes them.

The Germans developed amongst other things a "smart bomb" although I
would call it a missile (a rocket was fired upon release from the
aircraft, giving the needed inertia). These were equipped with a TV
emitter and the weapons officer could guide it by radio. When the Allies

started jamming these transmissions, the Germans built a wire guided
version. Apparently these missiles were quite effective against the
shipping used in the Salerno landings.
All this is from the top of my head, I would have to look up my
references. I have seen one of those IRL however.

Ludo Toen

Prev: Re: [SG] more ww2 Next: Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...