Prev: Re: SF Sniper rifle Next: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

Re: SF Sniper rifle

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:13:20 -0400
Subject: Re: SF Sniper rifle

At 11:31 AM -0400 7/11/02, laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:

>I know TomB is busy so I'll reply for him.  Tom feels that a .50 should
be
>more like 2d8 or so.  A HAMR should be more like .60-.80 (15-20mm) with
>special ammo.	He posted something to that effect back in...April?
Title
>of the post was something like "SAW/GMPG/HMG"

Modern .50 or something with better ballistics, better penetration,
better terminal effects, better barrel technology, better powder
technology....

Compare and contrast 1800's era .50s with 2000's era .50s. Some
things have changed. Especially with bullet technology and tailoring
their terminal effects. If it's a dedicated anti material round, 100
years from now, a .50 round could likely have some pretty fancy
effects. Sub miniature fuzes, explosive effects, EMP effects, etc.

.55 Boyes out performs .50 BMG on ballistics alone. Were it not a DD
under current US laws, I'd expect to see some pretty fancy
development with that caliber and cartridge. The driving force behind
.50 accuracy for a long time was private development in the shooting
community. Not at defense contractors and military bases. If people
had the option of playing more with the larger calibers, I'd really
expect to see more development paths that the defense guys don't
follow.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: SF Sniper rifle Next: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...