Prev: Re: [Campaign] Criteria Next: RE: [Campaign] Criteria

RE: [SG] Assaulting from IP and another thought

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:57:25 -0400
Subject: RE: [SG] Assaulting from IP and another thought

quoth TomB:
>2. There should, IMO, be a modifier (an
additional +1) for attacking IP troops. Why?
Those IP troops have a clear advantage in the
early going of the close assault and their IP
status is easily assessible.

I think of "IP" essentially as "prone firing position", since it is by
definition not the same as "hard/soft cover".  If so, it is not clear to
me that it is necessarily an advantage in close combat.  In fact, I
might go so far as to say that troops would need to leave IP if the
attacker makes it past final defensive fires.

Now, I can see giving a modifier if your assaultee is in cover--but
isn't that who you're going to be assaulting most of the time anyway?
If the silly beggers are standing around in the open within assault
range, wouldn't you just shoot them?  And if it's the usual situation,
you wouldn't want to add another modifier, instead you'd say "-1 DRM
bonus if target consists of idiots milling around in the open like
bewildered sheep"

Prev: Re: [Campaign] Criteria Next: RE: [Campaign] Criteria