Prev: Re: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger Next: RE: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger

Re: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:58:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Mission Creep - Was Re: The new US Army APC the Stinger

At 2:19 PM -0600 7/1/02, B Lin wrote:
>It seems that mission creep is commonly found in big budget projects
>- Cheyenne helicopter, International Space Station, etc.  Is there a
>way to simulate this in a GZG-verse campaign game?
>
>For instance, if the form of government of a
>planet/country/political entity allows nepotism or just plain
>pork-barrel politics how would you factor in the procurement of
>extra units, above and beyond what the military requests? i.e. you
>get 8 battlecruisers instead of the 6 requested, but the military
>has to pay for those extra 2 because a senator/bigwig decides the
>shipyard owned by one of his constituents needs the extra work.

The alternate to this is that the government contracted for 10
initially, but some of the senators cut it down, then they complained
that the contract cost too much per unit, so they kill the project
entirely.

>Or alternatively a specific modification is designed for tanks to be
>used in the combat engineering role.  It happens that the refit can
>only be done at the factory.  Instead of only refitting tanks going
>to the engineering batallions, a bigwig decides that all the tanks
>need to be refitted "just in case". It also happens that said
>factory employs his nephews.

Or the crews perform mods in the field that aren't authorized and it
works. Unless you're casting and machining new major components.
Little can't be accomplished at depot level bases. Heck, there were
gun re-fits performed on Churchills in Egypt where the Howitzer and 2
pounder were swapped between mounts in the hull and turret iirc.

>A third case might be a space transport unit that halfway through
>the design process acquires more armor to make it a limited assault
>transport.  But this reduces the top thrust from the original
>specification.  Do you up the engines or accept the decreased thrust?

Very common. Scope creep pure and simple. Properly designed ships
actually have space left over in the design for additional weapon
fits as time goes on. Smart designers/builders include the conduits
and support infrastructure to allow for the fitment with minimal
additions. Most of that stuff is far easier to build into the ship
than add on later. Especiallly if you can hold the module upside down
for the workers to work on the components at floor level rather than
over head.

The opposite of this is where the design is accomplished in a minimal
of time and there's a major issue. The Autoloader on the T62 (or was
it the T72?) had a certain taste for the gunner's arm and tended to
take it into the breach.

>In the first case, would there be minimum procurement amounts?  For
>instance if you commission a new class of cruiser, would you have to
>commit to 20 hulls built in a 10 year period?	Or would you have to
>buy tanks in 1000 unit lots?

Ships are much larger components and don't get quite the same thing
out of economies of scale that tanks and aircraft do.

>In the second case, are there provisions for a unit that is designed
>one way to have a flaw so that it doesn't meet the original
>specification and requires a refit to bring it up to specification?

That's why you have product improvement cycles and design boards in
the first place. There's a balance between good feedback from the
design board and the end user and not enough. Just the same, you can
spend so much time adding features that have been requested that the
vehicle has become a white elephant.

>In the third case what do the design changes cost?  In real life it
>costs a lot of time, effort and money to make major design changes,
>especially as you get further along in development.  If lead times
>are years, should there be an additional cost to make modifications
>to the design?  On another related thread, if you design
>multi-function modules, do they always work as specified or do they
>have more teething problems than dedicated systems and/or higher
>maintenance costs?

Depends on who builds them and if they cut corners in a good or bad way.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -