Prev: RE: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [DSII] Vehicle Construction Questions

[DSII] Vehicle Construction Questions

From: "CS Renegade" <njg@c...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:46:56 +0100
Subject: [DSII] Vehicle Construction Questions

I've had a look around several of the FAQs on line,
but I haven't seen any clarification for any of the
following. If they do exist in any published FAQ or
are in fact self-evident from the rules themselves,
please don't hesitate to point me at the page in
question.

1) Rounding generally isn't a problem, but there are
   some situations where it is called for. The only
   example (DS2 pg 52) rounds up where I would
   expect it to, i.e. the fraction is .5 or greater.
   Are fractions always rounded up, or rounded to
   the nearest number?

2) Can grade 0 armour support ablative or reactive
   surfaces? (I find the latter very difficult to
   believe.) Front armour is reduced one grade to
   represent side, rear or top armour. What happens
   to 1A or 1R armour?

3) Stealth and ECM are purchased _after_ BPV is
   calculated. Is this correct?

4) According to DS2 pg 12, Class 6 artillery can
   include mass driver guns. Pg 37 then goes on to
   state that mass drivers are rated class 6 rather
   than 4 because of their higher rate of fire.

   Do MDC engine requirements apply to artillery?
   Have the rules traded off the engine requirements
   for a system that is bulkier than it would be?

5) The SP artillery example on DS2 pg 12 puts a
   class 6 artillery system on a class 4 chassis.
   Is this correct? If so, is capacity the only
   limit for artillery pieces on light vehicles?

   What about artillery counting toward the DS2
   pg 11 maximum number of weapons on a chassis?

6) The Weapons Fit Limitations rules on pg 11
   imply that the decision to install a turret
   is taken when the primary weapon is selected.
   The second example on pg 12 outlines a turret
   being fitted for a secondary weapon. Is the
   example valid? (If it is, I'm quite happy with
   the principle that the largest non-GMS direct-
   fire weapon occupying a turret determines its
   capacity cost.)

   The example data card on pg 55 specifies a
   turret mount for a PDS. Is this relevant for
   ADS, PDS or LAD? If so, how? What "class" are
   these systems for the purposes of turret
   capacity cost, if they are the largest / only
   system in the turret?

   Although there is no cost difference placing
   GMS in a turret rather than on a fixed mount,
   are they still restricted to the limted arc of
   fire if fitted on fixed mounts?

7) Is it permitted to install ADS and PDS on the
   same vehicle? How about multiples of these
   systems? (And on a combat note, what does pg 31
   mean by "missile"? Do we include HAR? SLAM? IVAR
   even though there's no "missile" in that name?)

   One FAQ does state that PDS only affects GMS,
   but it was discussing the effect of stealth on
   SLAM. A clarification would be helpful.

8) ADS and PDS count toward the number of weapons
   mounted on a chassis. What about LAD? Can multiple
   LAD be carried on a chassis?

9) The calculation for backup systems includes missile
   guidance. Are we supposed to look at the costs of
   missiles and separate out the costs of the missile
   itself from the guidance pack? (If so, I reckon 10
   points for GMS/L and 15 points for GMS/H.)

That's a fairly long list of different problems, so
answers on any part are welcome. Please snip
responsibly!

Prev: RE: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [DSII] Vehicle Construction Questions