Prev: Re: Acronym Overload Next: RE: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature

RE: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature

From: "Alfie Finch" <alfie.finch@b...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:14:16 +0100
Subject: RE: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature

You're quite close...The official US Aircraft Systems
designations for variants is ;

A  Attack
B  Bomber
C  Cargo
D  Drone
E  Electronic
F  Figher
G [not used]
H  Search and Rescue (SAR)
I [not used]
J  Test - Temporary
K  Tanker
L  Polar
M  Multi-Mission
N  Test - Permanent
O  Observation
P  Patrol
Q  Target
R  Reconnaissance
S  Anti-Submarine
T  Trainer
U  Utility
V  VIP
W  Weather
X  Experimental
Y  Prototype
Z  Lighter-Than-Air

...from http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/list/index.html
but obviously this is not always followed, as H is usually used
as the second letter for helicopter, not SAR as noted.

So, F-15 = Fighter number 15, F/A-18 =Attack Fighter number 18,
Osprey is V-22 (MV for Marine and CV for Air Force), UH-1H is
Utility Helicopter number 1 model H, AH-64 = Attack Helicopter
number 64.

HTH

Prev: Re: Acronym Overload Next: RE: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature