Prev: RE: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: Acronym Overload

Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:10:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

--- KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> If they have stored up stuff, collected all
> available supplies from
> their surroundings and your logistics capabilities
> are limited, it may
> well be the besiegers who starve. Quite a number of
> sieges had to be
> abandoned because of hunger or disease.

Of course, if you've got the logistics to move a corps
of fighting men across the stars, presumably you have
the follow-on capability to bring in millions of
rations to feed said fighting men, at least until
you've secured enough farmers who aren't suicidally
brave.	As for disease, field sanitation has improved
somewhat since the Middle Ages.

And I guarantee that with the advent of modern
artillery, any siege will necessarily be of short
duration if there's to be anything left to fight over.

> Such situations are somewhat pointless to debate in
> the abstract.
> Better to put lead on the table ;-)
> Or at least do a campaign game.

Actually, we're starting a campaign game at Don's
place involving a 4-power coalition knocking off an
IFed planet.  Should be interesting.  Neutron bombs to
tackle military units removed from settlements,
Templar PA to hit PAD complexes and other hard
targets, NAC mechanized for city-fighting, and Mongols
and Romans for open-field battle.

John

Prev: RE: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: Acronym Overload