Prev: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

Re: Acronym Overload

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:40:17 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Acronym Overload

John Atkinson schrieb:

> Those of us who don't know what an SLR is in relation
> to photography (me, for instance) stopped reading the
> 'photographing miniatures' thread last week sometime.

SLR = 'Single Lens Reflex' camera.
Basically the only type of camera a professional photographer will
use.
'Single Lens' because it has only a single lens in front, unlike the
cheaper cameras that have a separate small viewfinder (=second lens).
'Reflex' because there is mirror behind the lens that guides the light
to the viewfinder in the rear. The mirror swings away the moment the
photo is taken to allow light to pass to the film.

Main advantages are that the photographer sees exactly what goes onto
the film, unlike two-lens cameras, and that the lens can be exchanged
easily. You can hook up an SLR to anything from an electron microscope
to an astronomical telescope to take pictures.

As to the military SLR. I know it's the old British NATO caliber
assault rifle. But waht does the acronym stand for ?

Greetings

Prev: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers