Prev: Re: IT'S NOT REAL . . . .? Next: Re: Merkava Mk.4

Re: Magic Wash

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 28 Jun 2002 11:16:43 -0400
Subject: Re: Magic Wash

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 17:43, Thomas Barclay wrote:
> Finally trying the magic wash thing. A few
> questions:

Magic Wash rocks!

> What ration of magic wash stock (1:4
> future:water mix) and ink should one use? (I
> find inks seem to be very strong, so I'd assume
> something dilute?) And similarly, what ratio with
> paint? (some ballpark guestimates or "this is
> what I do" would suffice)

I mixed up plenty ahead of time in a 4 oz nozzle-bottle.  I mixed 1 part
Future with 3 parts distilled water.  The amount and color of ink I use
differs depending on the effect I'm looking for.  As Binhan suggested,
start with a little, and add more until it's right.

Using distilled water in any wash (not just magic) is a good idea,
because regular water has minerals and such in it that can cause a
"ring" around the washed area instead of all the color being pulled into
the recesses as it dries.

> Also, I heard you can add a drop or two of
> dish detergent to good effect. Though I forget
> exactly why - surfactant? Or do I misremember?

Yes, I've heard that also, but I haven't added any myself.  My belief is
that the future has enough surfactants in it on it's own.  It is, after
all, intended to have a low surface tension on it's own, part of why
it's so shiny when used on the floor.

> Also, lastly, I've heard it suggested you should
> use a separate brush for it. Why? If you wash
> your brush with soap and water after the fact,
> why would it matter? (I ask because I'm loathe
> to write off one of my sable brushes to this mix
> but I do want to try it out).

I have used my good wash brushed for this stuff without any problems.  I
am very careful to rinse more and more often when using it though.  When
I finish, I use alcohol to complete the cleaning.

Note:  Before someone overseas asks about the availability of Future
floor polish - If you can't find it, look for "flow-aid".  It's pretty
much the same kind of stuff, though mixing up your own from future is
supremely cheap.

--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

Prev: Re: IT'S NOT REAL . . . .? Next: Re: Merkava Mk.4