Prev: GZG Online Catalogue Next: Re: GZG Online Catalogue

Re: Metal transport

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:45:25 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Metal transport

Edward Lipsett schrieb:
> Are there are chemistry- or physics-related reasons why
> metal structures aren't found in nature? (real answers, theories,
sheer
> guesses and tall stories all welcome)

I guess that produce metal structures requires too much energy to be
worthwhile for living organisms. Also, many metals oxidize readily, so
they require some kind of coating to stay useable.

IIRC, Ferrite (iron oxide) is occasionally used. One application is in
the magnetic senses of e.g.migratory birds. Another I vaguely remember
is in the teeth of snails on their tongues (radula). However, a quick
web search resulted in several sites that state that these are made of
Chitin, so I am probably wrong on this one.

Greetings

Prev: GZG Online Catalogue Next: Re: GZG Online Catalogue