Prev: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock Next: Re: Patrol vs. the Cave Dudes

Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:46:16 -0400
Subject: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

At 12:16 AM +0200 6/26/02, Derk Groeneveld wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Ryan M Gill wrote:
>
>>  And as I said, what people know of from the movies takes place in
>>  these later periods not the far earlier periods. Tsubaki Sanjuro and
>>  Yojibo take place in post 1600 Japan.
>
>You are of course aware this is a silly argument?

The whole idea of Samuraii fighting Chevaliers or English Long Bow
men is silly in and of itself. I thought you Dutch had better senses
of humor than this...:-P

>"Yeah, sure, HISTORICALLY it spanned from 1000 onwards, but MOVIES only
>cover the later period" "Therefore my statement that samurai were not
>around at the same time as knights is correct" ????

Duh. The point was though, what people popularly know as Samurai is
from movies that depict a very short period spanning about 100 years.
Probably mid 1500s to mid 1600s. The styles and weapons changed a
great degree over that time from 1000 to the time that Commodore
Perry sailed into Tokyo Harbor with the Black Fleet.

>If one would believe movies, then the medieval period is a time that I
can
>not account for by studying history at all, as movies represent some
silly
>fantasy crap.

The point is people are saying Samurai like its one finite fixed
period. There was development and change over that time. What was
common in the Heian wasn't true in the Nanbokuchou, more so for the
Edo period.

Oh and you know the Federation could beat the Empire any day right?

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock Next: Re: Patrol vs. the Cave Dudes