Prev: RE: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: The Bug man is back!

Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:29:18 -0400
Subject: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

At 8:39 PM +0200 6/24/02, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:

>>  I may be wrong, but what most people know of as Samurai (Yojimbo,
>  > Ran, etc) takes place in 1600 and later. At that point firearms
were
>>  reducing the size and nature of the Heavily armored cavalry in
>>  Europe. Hussars =!
>
>Mmmm...yes, you are wrong.
>The specific warrior society and culture of Japan, together with its
>weaponry and armour styles, developed ca. the 10th century. Until the
late
>16th century, the country was marked by intermittent periods of civil
war.

"Developed" in the 10th Century. But what everyone really looks at as
far as imagery is from movies set in the later periods from mid 1500s
up through. It seems like the period just prior to the Shogun's
expansion of power was the exciting period. (sort of like how the
West was popular in the era when metallic cartridges were common (ie
10 years post Civil war). Cars weren't far off (as illustrated in Big
Jake).

And as I said, what people know of from the movies takes place in
these later periods not the far earlier periods. Tsubaki Sanjuro and
Yojibo take place in post 1600 Japan.
The Battle of Sekigahara was in October 21, 1600. That's when
Tokugawa made his big victory and really started consolidating his
power after defeating his significant rivals.

>It's only from the early 17th century that the Shogun generals
established a
>unified government and imposed a strict military government that lasted
>until the mid-1800s. During the Shogunate the Samurai formed the lower
>aristocracy and had the opportunity to develop their culture to
sometimes
>fancyful extremes, including showy martial arts.
>
>'Ran', btw. takes place at the close of the long periods of civil wars.

And some of the other movies take place afterwards don't they.

My point is comparing Japanese Feudal technology of 16th or 17th
century (or even early 19th century) periods to pre 1600 European
forms is a bit anachronistic is it not? In the 1600's Europe was
using what military techniques for mounted combat? It certainly
wasn't the Arthurian mounted knight. The increased use of arquebuses
by european militaries had changed that.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: The Bug man is back!