Prev: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: re: The Bug man is back!

Re: Weapons and bullets

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:56:06 -0400
Subject: Re: Weapons and bullets

At 1:41 PM -0400 6/25/02, John Sowerby wrote:

>This is an interesting point. As part of my BSc, I took a course in
>Planetary Geology, which included something on impact cratering
>experiments performed using hyper velocity guns. Turns out the US
>military wanted to test these as possible infantry weapons, but
>after trying them, rejected the idea as they were too efficient at
>killing. (Shock waves from impact pretty much mushed the insides of
>the dead pigs they tried them on).

That is an issue with hunting as well. If you are shooting a deer,
you don't want the meat turned to hamburger. You want a good solid
clean kill that drops the animal quick (minimal suffering, minimal
running off and having to track it by the blood trail). If you are
shooting a coyote, then you don't much care for how the meat is as
long as you kill it fast. The wisest hunters have rounds they have
tailored for the game they are hunting and tuned to their rifles and
habits. A guy that shoots Elk

There is so much room for fiddling with the variables in ballistics
that it is actually a very complex art/science that many people
practice with aplomb and minimal education. (learned by doing mostly,
those that didn't do something dumb and double charge a round and
blow their face off that is...)

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: re: The Bug man is back!