Prev: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 06:57:45 +0200
Subject: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

Ryan Gill wrote:

>>Quoting the quote from your previous post: "The Royal Marines had
taken
>>on a warship, and won the fight."
>
>That is from the web site actually. Note the FROM.

Which is exactly what I pointed out in the next sentence in my previous
post.

>>>I said they worked the ship over, then surrendered.
>>
>>Hm? Please re-post the part where you said they surrendered - I must
have
>>missed that completely in your previous posts :-( The post with the
quote
>>from the small-wars web page ended one word after "...won the fight."
>
>Ok. Well, lets see. The Argies invaded the Falklands and South Georgia,

>then the RMs either did one of two things. Surrendered after the
>Government gave them leave to or they died. These RM's lived to fight
>another day. So they must have surrendered. The website gave specific
>account to that though I didn't mention it in my own text. I thought it

>was pretty implicit.

Thanks. You did not mention the surrender and I thus didn't miss your
mention of it :-)

Frankly, implicit statements are a very good way of being misunderstood
on
a forum as heterogenous as this one - particularly when the implications

were as well hidden as in this case: your quote from the web site (as
opposed to the web site itself, which requires people to have enough
time
to read it through instead of simply reading your short quote) didn't
mention which of the two scraps in South Georgia you were talking about,

and you were describing the battle to people (eg. BIF) who didn't know
about it and thus didn't have much background to it. Because of this,
your
choice of ending point for your quote ("...won the fight. ") gave a very

different impression of the outcome of that fight than the impression
you'd
get from reading the entire web site.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock