Prev: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:47:35 -0400
Subject: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

At 10:24 AM +1000 6/25/02, Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

>Assuming they're not interchangeable warheads for the rifle ammo, and
that
>you can't carry a lot due to its size and that its not easily made on
the
>way. That's the beauty of scifi mine can be way more fanciful in some
>respects than your vision of the universe and neither's wrong just
depends
>on what you want ;)
>I do understand your points its just that my background works on
different
>premises (and I must apologise because I should have stated them up
front).

Rifles aren't linked. MG rounds are linked. The links are used in
large quantities. one can reuse old links, but its far easier on the
troops if they don't have to link their own ammo. Having the gear to
do it is another issue.

>  > Radio parts you'll find.  But not the specific kinds
>>  you need to fix microminiature frequency-hopping
>>  helmet radios.
>
>Assuming they don't use the same parts. They mightn't today, but
there's
>nothing stopping them 180 years into the future (well 400 years in my
time
>line).
>
>>  Spare parts, especially for power armor, will also
>>  pose a problem.
>
>That's why specific family lines are tasked with maintaining them in my
>fictional setting.
>

>  > Unless you're defending a refinery there will also be
>>  a shortage of POL products.
>
>POL? I'm assuming this has to do with petrochemicals?

Mil-speak.  Petroleum, Oil, Lubricants.

Tanks use a boatload of the stuff. And not just fuel. My little tiny
Ferret needs more than 2 gallons of SAE 30 and has more oil
reservoirs than you have limbs that takes 90 wt gear oil. Probably
close to 5 gallons of the stuff. More if you try to keep them topped
up over extended ops.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock