Prev: Re: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: JUNGLE PATROL

Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:09:56 +0200
Subject: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@att.net>
> <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Saying that being small impairs their fighting ability
> >hasn't been valid since the 19th century when the
> >Japanese finally got over their moronic obsession with
> >blades and adopted real weapons.
>
> It was hardly a "moronic obsession". There were entirely good reasons
for
the
> Tokugawa shogunate outlawing guns in the 17th Century. Since they
didn't
have
> any contact until the late 19th century with anyone else, guns weren't
> necessary. There wasn't anything moronic about it.

Nor was it that much of a hindrance as long as they and their enemies
were
fighting only with blades. I wouldn't bet more than even odds in a fight
between a Samurai with a Katana and a European knight on foot (unless I
know
the personal skill levels of both).

And as to fighting with blades against firearms - size isn't of much
relevance there either ;-)
And the Japanese used firearms to good effect and in massive numbers in
the
16th-17th  century

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: JUNGLE PATROL Next: Re: JUNGLE PATROL