Prev: Re: GUN CRAZED COWBOY? Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:47:30 +1000
Subject: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

G'day,

> I need to sit down with my library and dig through it
> a bit.

Thanks.

> Try it your way, try it my way (Experimental Force
> undergoing field trials), and then either your army
> adopts the experimental organization, or you ditch it
> and stick with the old way.  Whichever works for you.

I like the sound of that.... though you'll be glad to note tat I spent
yesterday evening figuring out which figs I need and the PA were in
their
own squad ;)

> Well, a platoon is pretty small.  It's got no
> sustainment.	For instance, you've got medics.  Where
> do your casualties go from the medics?

Do you mean they don't just miraculously heal themselves?... OK good
point
;)

> What happens when weapons, electronics, or
> vehicles break and cannot be fixed by the platoon's
> organic armorers/commo guys/mechanics (the first and
> third of which you don't have, so you'd need to
> crosstrain infantrymen to do those jobs)?

I had missed the first in my list of "secondary skills" I've identified
for
the squads, but I did have the mechanics.

> Who brings these guys ammo/food/water/etc??  There's
> got to be a logistical structure.

Yep, though I have a feeling it will be smaller than the logistical
structure of more conventional forces you guys have devised as there is
much
more self sufficiency involved here (and smaller ammo sizes etc). Though
realise (based on effects in ancient campaigns) that that may mean I
could
pay heavily if an opponent opts for environmental/slash and burn
tactics.

> How do you handle counterbattery fire, long range
> reconaissance, antiaircraft defense, etc, etc, etc,
> etc, etc?

Aircraft may not be as much of an issue due to poor conditions, and
drones
do the recce, but there would be a need for counterbattery (which I
assumed
my higher up heavily artillery, if they were around this time in, would
do).

> Who commands these disparate platoons in battle?

The next guy up. Though (as I explained to Adrian off-list so
unfortunately
you weren't privy) in the setting we'll be seeing far more of the
"you're it
boys, take care of yourselves" kind of actions rather than large bodies
of
troops, with associated coordination. Its a failing of mine I know, but
unfortunately I tend to get caught up in the units I game with and the
overarching description of their society, environment etc and sweep the
military structure details under the carpet.

> After all, the Romans didn't have any infantrymen in
> the legions.	They were ALL combat engineers.  :)

And who better to inspire you hey? ;)

> Yeah, but coordinating fires requires a structure to
> do so at higher levels.  Each US infantry company gets
> 4 guys, 3 to call for fire, and 1 officer to
> coordinate it.  Plus the batallion has a fire support
> cell commanded by a captain with a least a couple more
> officers and a bunch more EMs to coordinate.

As crazy as it sounds I saw less people involved and more automation...
but
I'm probably putting too much trust in future computer use ;)

> I've always wanted to try blowing my way into a walled
> city in an SF game. . .

Hopefully we'll be seeing a bit of that ;)

Thanks and have fun

Prev: Re: GUN CRAZED COWBOY? Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers