Prev: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones Next: Re: [SG & DS] Vehicle construction questions

Re: Big Countries (and no longer Tree Bases)

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:43:21 +0100
Subject: Re: Big Countries (and no longer Tree Bases)

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 04:07:57PM -0400, Tom Barclay wrote:
>And frankly, if you've driven Manitoba-Ontario border to Rocky
Mountains
>(or the reverse), you'll have to say you might as well drive it at
>night. Not much to see.... and hot in the summer!
>
>To bring this OT (heh!), I"m sure that GZGverse colonial farmers and
>outposters get quite a culture shock if they ever have to visit Terra.
>That'll make a Torontonian in Louisianna seem like a born-n-bred
native.

And the other way round. We don't really know much about civilian life
in the Tuffleyverse, but I suspect that grav "cars" are probably
available to the fairly wealthy, and grav "planes" will be able to
connect city centres. Someone born on Terra has probably never been more
than a few hours from anywhere else on the planet - and a few seconds,
for face-to-face communications on a videophone.

Such a person going to a colony world is going to have a major isolation
shock... even if everyone does have a satellite videophone, you may well
end up several hours from just your nearest neighbour.

Prev: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones Next: Re: [SG & DS] Vehicle construction questions