Prev: Re: [SGII/FMA] Fire Hawk Down Next: Re: [SG, DS] Combat Engineers

Re: [SG, DS] Combat Engineers

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 19 Jun 2002 13:50:42 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG, DS] Combat Engineers

A bit late in piping up on this, but:

We're talking about a high-tech force using these anitmatter grennies...
(grenade+penny).  What's a low-power, breach-loaded, underbarrel gauss
launcher between high-tech friends?

Or an even more low-tech launcher:

Sarge:	"Watch out, that kid has a slingshot!  Scan him."

New guy: "Pfah!  A slingshot!?	We're in MkIV FussPanzer armor, Sarge,
what's he gonna do to us?"

Sarge:	Scans kid any sign of hidden gear, finds none.	"Let me tell you
about the time I was on Dorandall III.	No shit, there I was (as any
REAL war story starts, -ed.) There were these young native guys with
simple leather thong slings near our base, just chucking rocks out into
the grass fields outside our perimeter... we figured they were having a
distance contest or something...  Then we get the call, a nearby outpost
spots some opposition light vehicles moving through a pass we didn't
want 'em comin' though.  So we prep our quick reaction force to move
out.  As soon as those trucks started to roll, bomblets started raining
down on us!"

The Air defenses were silent, and for a few seconds, nobody knew what
was going on... we were supposed to own the sky in our sector, and
nobody had indicated that ortillery was supposed to still be up there.
But sure enough, we were getting battered by blast after blast.  Then we
hear a perimeter guard light off with his rippergun and the "arty"
stopped.  Turn out the opposition recruited the locals and smuggled some
of their antimatter grenades to 'em earlier that week with the time that
they ought to be sending an attack in."

Every one of those locals was shredded by that ripper gun, but not a
single one of our QRF vehicles was mission-capable.  The opposition held
that pass and about 2k past it for about two weeks... then we pushed 'em
back.  But they'd have never had it if it hadn't been for those grennies
getting lobbed in by slinshot."

*Ahem*	Sorry about the short story... I think I ought to set aside time
to write some fiction sometime soon.  The urge is getting stronger.

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 12:41, Ryan M Gill wrote:
> At 11:40 AM -0400 6/18/02, Flak Magnet wrote:
> >Does it have to be anti-matter?  Or are you just looking for really
> >dinky grenades that still make a full-sized kaboom?
>
> The one problem I can see with a really dinky sized grenade is
> throwing it. Throw a baseball as far as you can. Now throw a marble
> as far as you can. Now, take a basball and add a stick to it, then
> throw that as far as you can.
>

> --
> --
> - Ryan Montieth Gill			       '01 Honda Insight -
> - rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			      '85 CB700S -
> - ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		   '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
> - www.mindspring.com/~rmgill			 '72 Honda CB750 -
> -					'60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
> -				     '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
> -		I speak not for CNN, nor they for me		 -
> -    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,	 -
> -			what is the difference? 		 -
> -  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!    \ EFF-ACLU	 -
> - SAF & NRA/	Join the EFF!  http://www.eff.org/   \ DoD #0780 -

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

Prev: Re: [SGII/FMA] Fire Hawk Down Next: Re: [SG, DS] Combat Engineers