Prev: UFOs of the Reich Next: Re: [OT] Completely off-topic and useless celebrating re: World Cup

RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:49:43 +1000
Subject: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

G'day,

> "If you're going to design a Lab, it helps to know how it fits in with
> the Department and College."	:-)

Given the current round of restructuring around here I'd rather not
think
about it ;)

>    A platoon is only about 35 guys, normally.  Yours are a bit larger,
> of course, but a platoon isn't big enough, or diverse enough, to be
> able to fight independently. You don't have to put a company on the
> table but you should at least know what it has.

I do understand what you're talking about, but in this case its probably
not
a lot more than the sum of the platoons. Think of it more like the
organisation of a small countries' (e.g. Nauru) police force (though
they're
not actually the police) rather than a traditionally structured
military.

>   Think of your higher echelons as being a source of "guest stars" for
> the battle.  You don't want a sniper/tank/VTOL/PA unit in *every* game
> but you can say "battalion assigned me a sniper element" when you want
> one.

The upper echelons would supply water transport, air support, heavy
artillery, may be some "best of the best" troops and big league stuff
like
that basically.

> Your population gets a lot of practice breaching minefields in
> everyday life?

Those kind of tasks or one similar in scientific/mining etc rolls, yes.

> I'm sorry, did someone say "6mm"?

Unfortunately I have to conform with the scale my opponents have chosen.

Cheers

Prev: UFOs of the Reich Next: Re: [OT] Completely off-topic and useless celebrating re: World Cup