Prev: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones Next: [SG] Chitless Stargrunt

Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:55:39 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones

Roger said:
> In "real-world" terms (as I understand it, not having actually done
> this) - having three squads with a machine gun each is more useful
than
> having two squads without 'em and one with three. One machine gun is
> enough to make the enemy keep their heads down...

 Someone--SLA Marshall?--did a study after WW2 which reported that
your basic infantry is not really likely to actually shoot at the
enemy.	He may just sit tight, or he may fire in the general direction
of the enemy ("north"), or he may scurry about doing other useful
things (bandaging, carrying ammo--something that lets him avoid
shooting people).  Machine guns or other crew-served weapons are more
likely to actually fire on the enemy.  So if you have one squad with 3
MG and the other two with none, then you probably have one really
effective squad and two which are mostly just taking up space.	Kind
of hard to use maneuver to win if you only have one effective unit.

(BTW, it's believed that "desensitization training"--in essence, first
person shooter video games--will train riflemen to be much less
reluctant to shoot people.  Of course, if they played DOOM growing up,
they may not need the Army's version....).

> For SG PA, which doesn't tend to carry much heavier weapons than the
> regular troops, it's basically about movement rate. Armour is still
> factor - if your whole squad is PA, you can be prepared to move into
> heavier fire than a mixed or leg-infantry squad would be able to
handle.

And into close assault.  If you're trying to wipe out a squad quickly,
close combat is the way to do it.  Preferably when you outnumber him,

Prev: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones Next: [SG] Chitless Stargrunt