Prev: Re: [SG, DS] Combat Engineers Next: Re: DS2 vehicles vs. infantry

Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:08:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones

--- Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I've read all the how-to's for TO&Es etc and saw
> that most everyone uses 4
> squads per platoon. Apart from the "it is most
> efficient with respect to
> reactivation" etc arguments I take it that there are
> sound military reasons
> for not having more squads? What happens if you're
> short on leader stock??

Yes.  The limit is the ability of your junior leaders
to effectively control their units.

The US tried during the fifties to do "pentagonal"
divisions with 5 battlegroups per division, 5
companies per batallion, and 5 platoons per company.
It overwhelmed the staff and commanders with too big
an area of responsibility.  You can do about 3
maneuver elements well, plus support assets (usual
platoon makeup on those TOEs you're talking about is 3
rifle squads plus weapons/headquarters, neh?).

> Platoon HQ
> Lt

This is a huge platoon.  Probably a captain, with a
major commanding the company.  Just my gut
inclination.  Plus an LT as an assistant platoon
leader and the platoon sergeant.

> Sgt
> EW/Comms
> IAVR or PA
> SAW or PA (i.e. either the IAVR or SAW will
> potentially be carried by PA)
> 3xriflemen
> Spotter-drone

What are the riflemen for?

> Platoon Engineers
> Cpl
> 6xriflemen (or whatever you call them if they're
> actually an engineer...
> sorry John)
> SAW or PA
> Drone

Typically, Sappers, Pioneers, or Engineers.  Which
nation is this for?  If it's Commonwealth, probably
Pioneers.  Sappers is for regular engineer types.  US
just calls them all engineers (of whatever types--the
MTOE line I used to occupy was labelled "Combat
Engineer")

> Platoon Mortars
> 2xtubes
> 6xcrew
> SAW or PA
> Comms
> Drone

Yaaah!	That's a lot of mortars in the batallion.
Usually platoons don't get mortars, but why not?

> 3xRifle Squads
> Cpl
> IAVR or PA
> SAW or PA (i.e. either the IAVR or SAW will
> potentially be carried by PA)
> Comms
> 4xriflemen (one of these is a medic and there may
> even be a sniper/marksman
> per squad too)
> Drone

Well, I don't like the way you've done your PA.  If
you've got that much PA it's best to consolidate them
in 1 squad.  Why?  Movement rates.  Half the selling
point of PA is that it's damn fast.  But you're tying
them to slow regular infantrymen.  PA is your main
striking force, you want to be able to concentrate
them.  2 PA guys isn't a threat.  6-8 is.

John

Prev: Re: [SG, DS] Combat Engineers Next: Re: DS2 vehicles vs. infantry