Prev: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones Next: RE: ye olde chitless game!

ye olde chitless game!

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:18:12 -0400
Subject: ye olde chitless game!

I was thinking about some of the ideas tossed
around. I'm working out my own twist. We do
find chits ugly up the photos, and if there was a
good way to do away with them, that'd be
great.

Figures mounted on pennies. Bottom of penny
has space to mark quality of figure/unit &
leadership of figure/unit.

1" washer (with space in center for penny) is
used to place squad leader on. Serves dual
function of illustrating who is squad leader and
provides extra space for other indicators.

Penny with some empty mags or shell casings
or whatever is used to indicate activations. No
penny = has not activated. Penny = activated.
Set beside unit.

In position indicated by a stand with some tree
branches or a fair sized (but not too large)
rock - something you could take cover behind.
Instead of being an independent counter, this
could be the washer used by the command
figure.

Wounded... ideally wounded figures like the NSL
wounded figures. Maybe I'll work on making
some for the other nationalities. Dead.... well,
you can just take them off the board or you
could use a dead figure. Or a body bag, though
I prefer a dead figure.

Suppression would be a penny with a small
crater on it. Several of these could indicate 1-3
suppressions, place around the unit.

The only tough one is confidence. I like the
"bare washer" (CO), some "low grass" (ST),
"med grass"(SH), "high grass and shrubs"
(BR), "discarded gear" (RO). That would mean
that the in-position counter should be separate
from the washer surrounding the SL. But that's
not a big issue.

I prefer not to use smoke, as burning vehicles
and popped smoke frequently appear on our
battlefield.

The only other counters that I want to represent
that I can think of:
1) an overwatch counter - maybe a range stake
on a penny placed in the direction the unit is
watching....
2) EW counters - dunno. No good idea leaps to
mind.
3) Ammo - pennies with 1, 2 or 3 munitions on
them (stolen from model kits, etc)
4) Dummies - Shrub on a base.
5) CDMs - Can make these on a penny easily
enough.
6) Buried mines - Same. Easy to represent on
a penny.
7) Lettered markers. Dummies which, when
turned over, contain a letter marker on the
bottom.
8) Fire counters.... smoke rising from a penny
or quarter, bottom half painted bright
orange/red, top painted black.
9) Last stand - appropriate national or unit
emblem on flag pole (frayed and torn if
possible) mounted on penny. Flags don't really
have any other place, but this seems like one
("Here we plant our flag, and here we hold or
die.....").
10) Smoke - Larger Smoke (cotton batten)
11) MAK or HEF - MAK should be a pile of
small craters on an appropriate template
(maybe hardboard or polystyrene) and HEF
should have fewer, larger craters
12) Booby Trap - some punji sticks sticking
through some grass on a penny
13) Drone - actual drone model
14) Imm - a few broken track sections, a spare
road wheel
15) Dis - some smoke (small amounts) curling
from around the turret
16) Sys - dunno
17) Destroyed - some dark smoke (with the fire
effect) all over and the turret popped off....
vehicle engulfed
18) Decoy - small missile or flare on brass rod
and flocked washer.... something that looks like
a decoy might
19) Sniper - sniper figure
20) Hover - obvious from vehicle base
(Hover/Flight have separate stands, landed is
obvious with no stand)
21) Turn - not required. Use a die or something
off at the edge of the board. Or use a pile of
gravel (one big rock per turn) on a board
corner.
22) Panic - dunno.

Those are my ideas. I think I'm gonna try to put
some of them into play before my next game.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones Next: RE: ye olde chitless game!