Prev: Re: Dropcaps and Paraops Next: Fwd: [etranger] Call for Fire

Re: IF stuff. . .

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:33:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: IF stuff. . .

--- Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:

> The bit about marksmen being untrained is
> relative--if you're using
> the Marksman rules on stargrunt.ca, they're trained,
> just not up to
> "sniper" level.

I was referring to the tendency among some armies to
hand out nice sniper rifles (Dragunovs) to the soldier
in the unit that scores highest on the rifle range
with no further training.  Especially in militia
units, I expect this would be the case.

>  Putting a FAO in every platoon should in theory fix
> this.

He ought to be attached rather than assigned, but then
again that's an observation from a guy who has had
some problems with certain platoon
sergeants--including one who thought he still had
authority to give me a ration of shit while clearing
the unit.

> I'm not sure what John means about the squads not
> having automatic
> weapons since every squad has a SAW and an
> auto-grenade launcher.

Platoons.  No automatic weapons at the platoon level.
Of course, you do have vehicles, but you indicated (in
a private e-mail) that in your doctrine their role
specifically does not include supporting the attack or
defense.  Which leaves you lacking weapons under the
control of the platoon leader to reinforce the main
effort or reserve.

I like every one of my leaders to have some guns under
his control.  My infantry platoons either have 4
vehicles with RFACs and APSWs or a section with 3 good
automatic weapons.

An
> intact IF squad has FP18 from its rifles, so once
> they're IP they
> usually split fire, FP8+AGL+QD, then FP10+SAW+QD.

YMMV, but I find that combining firepower (and I've
also got FP 18, due to better rifles) to throw 4 large
dice (d12, 2xd10, and usually a d8 or d10 unless it's
militia) is far more likely to provide the results
I've after.  Casualties and 1 supression are far
better than 2 supressions.

John

Prev: Re: Dropcaps and Paraops Next: Fwd: [etranger] Call for Fire