Prev: Re: [SGII/FMA] Fire Hawk Down Next: Re: Dropships vs. Dropcaps

Re: Dropships vs. Dropcaps

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:42:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dropships vs. Dropcaps

--- John Sowerby <sowerbyj@fiu.edu> wrote:

> >When exactly was the last major parachute
> operation? and why?
>
> I can remember reading in I think Westmoreland's
> memoirs that there was an
> actual drop made in the Vietnam War, and I know
> there were a few operations
> by the French in Vietnam in the 1950's.

The last brigade-sized (plus Rangers) combat drop that
I know of was conducted in 1989 by a brigade of the
82nd Airborne Division into Panama.  Why?  To secure
airfields to airland the rest of the division.

HOWEVER, I will note that since 1945, no airborne
operations have been conducted against a nation that
had anything resembling a real air defense capability.

John

Prev: Re: [SGII/FMA] Fire Hawk Down Next: Re: Dropships vs. Dropcaps