Prev: Re: DS/SG Landings Next: RE: PCS/NPCS AND LADY LUCK

Re: DS/SG Landings

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:57:08 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: DS/SG Landings

On  7-Jun-02 at 00:47, Thomas Barclay (kaladorn@magma.ca) wrote:
> Roger said:
>
> Why would you bother with a dangerous
> orbital drop when you
> can send in air/space transports if it is
> going to be
> unoppposed?
>
> [Tomb] Good question.
> 1. Is an unopposed landing dangerous?
> (Answer: Probably not all that dangerous).
> No significant ADE assets to suppress, and
> few unsuppressed ones to dodge, hence
> landing at your choice of location should be
> quite straightforward.

Your chance of a screwup is going to be much greater.
Screwups, when dropping from orbit, are going to be
lethal.

> 2. Sometimes you use what you got in
> system.

You still need ground-orbit to recover those men.
They aren't one-shots.

> 3. I still think dropcaps will be faster time-
> to-ground than a lander. Let's say you want
> to insert your force on top of an enemy
> outpost to hit them before they can really
> figure out what is happening. That's one
> case.

Orbit->Ground will take about the same amount of
time for a drop capsule or a dropship, the orbital
mechanics are the same.  The ship could even be
faster due to heavier heat shielding.

Prev: Re: DS/SG Landings Next: RE: PCS/NPCS AND LADY LUCK