Prev: Re: OT, was Re: PCS/NPCS AND UNLIMITED SCENARIO IDEAS Next: Re: AAR

Re: [OT] It's D-Day (well, the 58th anniversary)!

From: "Nick and Laurel Caldwell" <clcaldwell@k...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 16:43:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] It's D-Day (well, the 58th anniversary)!

My local games stores solution to the scatter -- for FMA skirmish games
rather than SG:

1) Place 1 counter for each figure in a row on a ruler.
2) Have impartial observer raise ruler to 3 feet above board
3) Tilt ruler

According to the game store owner this was how they used to simulate
"stick"
drops of parachutists in WW2 games.

As for DS2, I have used "the landers came down safely in the desert (or
deserted island or arctic waste or . . .) and your forces have
recombined
and set out for the objective.

Having vulnerable landers would be tough, I think.  After all, depending
on
the statistics you use, there is always going to be a small but non-zero
chance that ALL of the landers are shot down, which makes for a quick
but
not very interesting game.  I suppose you could do somehting like having
the
attacker put his forces into, say, 6 groups and then announce "OK,
groups 3
and 6 were shot down.  Deploy the rest of your forces."    Hmmm, I might
just have talked myself into a DS2 game.  That sounds like fun.

Rick Rutherford -- do not read this email!  ;-)

Nicholas Caldwell
clcaldwell@kreative.net