Prev: RE: SG Great War (or the War To End All Wars... Almost) Next: Re: Off Topic list

RE: Off Topic list

From: "CS Renegade" <njg@c...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 00:32:15 +0100
Subject: RE: Off Topic list

From: ~ On Behalf Of KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de
Sent: 05 June 2002 09:27
Subject: Off Topic list

Ground Zero Games schrieb:
>> Aside from this, I do still think that the idea of a
>> separate "gloves-off" list for use when things start
>> to drift really off-topic is a possible solution to
>> a lot of the OT/flame* problems the list has been
>> having recently, but it is a solution that would only
>> work with the co-operation of everyone involved.

> In fact, it would not even be neccessary to create
> such a list. Yahoo Groups has several suitable lists
> already, e.g.:

> As most members of GZG-l are already on one or more
> yahoo lists,

Not by intention. Yahoo bought E-groups, the outfit
who'd previously run the two forums I subscribe to.
Given that we were being moved to a larger outfit,
the service not as good and has become progressively
worse.

> .. joining one of these would not be a technical
> problem. Agreeing on one may be, though.

Very true.

Going on what I read in the UK trade press, Yahoo
have a reputation that is going from bad to worse.
Web users get bombarded with pop-up adverts inserted
between every few postings unless the list owner pays
a fee to inhibit them, and e-mail readers have to
trust their addresses to an organisation that
reserves the right to change its privacy policy
without notice, and has done so.

My opinion of HTML-based discussion groups is on
record under the thread [OT] An Idea (30/5/2002).

Reaching back into the mists of time, do some other
list members have axes to grind regarding the FT Web
Ring, or am I confusing Yahoo with some other cheap
money-grubbing outfit?

In the four(?) years I've been subscribing to the
CSUA service, I've got through three ISPs and two
PCs (more if I include the times I've subscribed
from works accounts). I really think we take its
stability and reliability for granted.

Prev: RE: SG Great War (or the War To End All Wars... Almost) Next: Re: Off Topic list