Prev: RE: Beginner's SG Next: Re: HOBBY PRODUCTS SF

RE: [FH] FCT founding talk

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:34:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [FH] FCT founding talk

--- CS Renegade <njg@csrenegade.demon.co.uk> wrote:>
> > Think WWII commonwealth, RN, RCN, RAN, RNZN, ect..
>
> I'm not certain about that parallel. Surely the
> ships of the navies you mention belonged to those
> commonwealth governments?
-------
Yes they do.

Were antipodean boats
> ever assigned PQ duty or redeployed for the
> desperate situation in the Atlantic?
-------
The RCN make large contributions throughout the
war in the Atlantic, the neutral U.S.N. ran
convoy escort in the western Atlantic prior
to becoming actively involved.	 PQ convoys
are special and normally had a higher DD,
capital ship escort than the normal Atlantic
convoy.   I do not have listings of the ships
used for the PQ convoys, so I venture no guess.

> Now we're getting into the thorny "what is the AC?"
> question. Leaving aside those who find the whole
> idea incredible, I believe that opinions varied
> from a post-apocalyptic wasteland completely
> rebuilt by the AC to an open confederation in
> which most of the existing traditions of the US
> are preserved.
--------
I realize the game is science fiction, BUT the
idea the the AC cound completely rebuild the
U.S. while expanding into space/building space
fleet would be a unacceptable strech.	The
confederation concept is a more believeable
and far less expensive alternative.

> We may find it more productive to take the NAC as
> a given and restrict the discussion to the years
> immediately before and after the 2159 secession.
-------
I try.

> Very true if we're talking about a Hungarian
> Uprising-style rebellion, but I don't see it
> happening that way. If (and there is no evidence
> to support this theory) the NAC permits a degree
> of plurality and political debate and some freedom
> of the press to go with it, then a simple campaign
> to grant the colony greater rights* could have
> been hijacked by the secessionists.
-------
This infers the AC is rather dictatorial or
feudal in operation, while this if just fine
if one desires a bloody revolution, something
more modern is more likely to provide the
correct background for the 'reasonably peaceful'
departure of the FCT.

> Is www.projectrho.com/ft/astropolitical.gif?
> By south, you mean trailward? But the FCT is
> below Sol, whereas both the PAU and the IC are
> above. Am I missing a symbol on Nyrath's maps
> that indicate the presence of a base?
-------
OK, I need to look at this.   My computer died
some time ago and I lost all the FT stuff.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: RE: Beginner's SG Next: Re: HOBBY PRODUCTS SF