Prev: RE: SG Great War (or the War To End All Wars... Almost) Next: Re: WARNING - ON TOPIC - INDEPENDANCE DAY

RE: [FH] FCT founding talk

From: "Noel Weer" <noel.weer@v...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:09:27 -0500
Subject: RE: [FH] FCT founding talk

I generally have not given Canon History more than the cursory look
necessary to acclimate to the discussions here, and to identify figures
:),
but I did read this and I have to say it has some pretty well reasoned
thoughts. In short, nice, Renegade.

I am intrigued enough to want to toss in some other possibilities.

I picture a situation in which FTC comes into being, but has not left
the
NAC fold. Economically it certainly seems that they would continue to
depend
heavily upon the NAC and could not burn any bridges. As you mention,
self-defense would be an issue, and hardly appear immediately in
organized
implementation. There would be considerable need for cooperative
efforts, at
least in the short term, and they remain English-speaking cousins no
matter
what...

so, my thoughts:

With the ESU political/military situation, perhaps decency allowed the
FTC
to be born with more of a NAC Commonwealth status maturing into full
independence over time. I imagine some in the NAC would believe it (the
FTC)
would never work and they would have to come back, "so let them learn
the
hard way".

FTC could almost serve as the outlet for any other separatist
tendencies.
Its success could provide an emigration target for other like-minded
citizens. This could server a dual benefit - put meat on the bones of
the
FTC spirit in its infancy  and draw down the very social/political
elements
the NAC would not be sorry to see go. This would allow the FTC success
mitigate its repetition.

Were the FTC claimed colonies in any sort of position that the NAC
gained an
advantage vis-à-vis the ESU by drawing down in the lull between the
wars?

Perhaps the NAC was still concerned enough with the ESU that they were
unwilling to commit the resources they imagined were necessary to bring
the
worlds back under the Crown.

But again, I am not up on my Canon so I do not know... Does it state
that
events were peaceful and orderly, or were they more chaotic and
political
ill-will remains "today"? I imagine at a minimum some "incidents" must
have
occurred but the governments 'will must have held things together in
some
fashion for the current state to have taken form (though that may be an
over
simplification).