Prev: Re: Many Things Next: Re: Names and nationalities (was: something old and tired)

Re: War of 1812 - American Victory?

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 10:08:49 EDT
Subject: Re: War of 1812 - American Victory?

On Fri, 31 May 2002 08:35:00 +0000 "Donogh McCarthy"
<donoghmc@hotmail.com> writes:

>Imre Szabo:
>

>>>Let's get this straight.  The U.S. launches an
>>>aggresive war.  Is stopped
>>>cold.  Pushed back.	And then get's the status quo
>>>of before the war in the
>>>peace treaty and you call it a victory?
>
>John Atkinson:
>
>>Actually got well more than status quo ante bellum.
>>The Brits got the hell out of the Ohio River Valley.
>>Stopped impressment (wasn't in the treaty, but it
>>stopped).
>
>>All against the best and largest navy on the planet,
>>and one of the best armies going?
>
>Which was involved in the second world war at the time.
>And rather busy winning it. (and saving the "world" from French
>domination
>*grin*)
>As regards to the naval theatre, which I know more about than the land
<snip>

>theatre; the British sent their frigates to take on the US frigates
>which outclassed them in size - it's not too inaccurate to describe
>the US
>frigates as pocket battleships - able to outgun anything they couldn't
>
>outrun and vice versa.
>
>Donogh

First and last time that worked! <grin>

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Prev: Re: Many Things Next: Re: Names and nationalities (was: something old and tired)