Prev: Re: [OT] KHR's Russian Beauty Queen Next: Re: [FH] americas

Re: [OT] Russian things

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 22:19:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] Russian things

--- KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:
> Derk Groeneveld schrieb:
> > reading 'In Deadly Combat' by G.H. Bidermann, a
> german NCO and later lieutenant
------
Infantry or LW?

> Overall, their aircraft designs were as good as
> those of the other powers, and they kept up with
developments. And they produced hordes of them.
------
Hordes YES, Quality NO!
Early war Yak and Lagg fighters were equal in
performance/firepower/range to the 109E-4 series.
The Russians do not produce another comparable
fighter until the La-7 enters combat in Sep. 43.
Around Sep. 43 the allies entered the P47-D22,
P38J-25, F4U-1A, Spitfire 8E.
The axis entered the following into combat;
Me109G-6U3 (MW50 boost), MK108 enters combat,
Fw190A-7.
You will not the allied A/C are all high fighters,
the Germans are high/mid (109) and mid (190),
Russian fighters prior to the advent of the La-7
were all low/mid (LaGG-3/5, Yak-3/7) or mid (La-1)
Mig1/3 do qualify as high fighter with good
performance, but no effective weapons.

> I have read an account that as early as late 1941,
> German pilots reckoned the air defences of Moscow to
be "Tougher than London". And from that point on, the
Russian air force was able to hold its own against the
Luftwaffe and eventually to gain air superiority.
-------
Most good russian pilots were placed into 'guards'
units, or a good unit became 'guards' status.
Massive Russian production and German attrition
of pilots caused the advent of 'Russian air
superiority'.

Bye for now,
John L.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: [OT] KHR's Russian Beauty Queen Next: Re: [FH] americas