Prev: Re: Cola Wars Re: [FH] americas Next: Re: [FH] Americas

[OT] wasRE: Cola Wars Re: [FH] americas

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:12:10 -0600
Subject: [OT] wasRE: Cola Wars Re: [FH] americas

The reason the US products contain High Fructose Corn syrup/sugar is
that the US tariff on importing pure cane sugar is so high that it is
acutally cheaper to ship tons of corn syrup to Thailand, have them spike
the syrup with sugar and then re-import the sugar within the syrup back
to the US.  IIRC the world price for sugar is 18 cents per pound, the
cost for imporation of pure sugar into the US is something like 50 cents
per pound, which is why you usually can only find Hawaiian sugar in most
US stores.

So much for Free Trade...

--Binhan