Prev: Re: AMERICANS Next: RE: Re: [OT] Invading America

Re: War of 1812 - American Victory?

From: Mark Reindl <markreindl@y...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 08:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: War of 1812 - American Victory?

--- Donogh McCarthy <donoghmc@hotmail.com> wrote:
> John Atkinson:
>
> >Actually got well more than status quo ante bellum.
> >The Brits got the hell out of the Ohio River
> Valley.
Which had been an agreement in the Treaty of Paris
which ended the Revolutionary War.  The British would
likely have done so eventually anyway.

> >Stopped impressment (wasn't in the treaty, but it
> >stopped).

Impressment had been stopped at this time already.
All one has to do to see the true outcome of the war
is to look at how American attitudes changed from
start to finish.  When war was declared, people were
demanding that the US go take Canada (which we got our
asses kicked trying to do for the second time, damned
Canucks).  By the end of the war, Americans were
celebrating "Not one foot of territory given up!"  I
don't call that a win, I call it spin :).

Mark

Prev: Re: AMERICANS Next: RE: Re: [OT] Invading America