Prev: RE: Re: Quotes Next: Re: Whining from foreigners.

Britain and Confederacy

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:12:22 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Britain and Confederacy

Adam Benedict Canning schrieb:
> Makes no difference, the UK recognised a number of slave
> using countries [Brazil for example] without ever being their
> ally.

AFAIK, this was after those states had established their independence.
Plus they were former colonies well away from their motherland.

> Let the Foreign office loose on drawing up a peace treaty and you
> are likely to end up with North-South borders as well as east-west
> ones. Not because Britian cares about the Indians [though it would
> go down well with Her Majesty] but because then we can assimilate
bits
> of the continent we want.

> Californa when the gold rush starts for example.

Minor point: the California gold rush started in 1849, well before the
Civil War. But, yes, California and neighbouring regions would make a
good candidate for an independent state (see Free Cal-Tex)

> Other than the possibility of the CSA balkanising over
> the issue and the hardening British attitudes on slavery [Note the RN

> was definetly against it, because they could condemn slave trading
> vessels as prizes,

Another minor note: policies against international slave trade were in
place well before the Civil War.

Greetings

Prev: RE: Re: Quotes Next: Re: Whining from foreigners.