Prev: Re: The same old shit!!! Next: Re: [OT] Turtledove

Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 17:14:38 -0400
Subject: Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

> > >We "bombed the crap out of" second rate armies like
> > >the Brits (twice),
> >
> > Once. You can't call the War of 1812 an American
> > victory (though US schools
> > try to teach it as such).
>
> OK, so the original intent was to conquer Canada.
>
> No problem.  Frankly, I'm glad we didn't--what would
> we do with seven more states full of
> pseudo-Minnessotans.
>
> On the other hand, the Brits intended to hang onto
> their positions in the Ohio valley, which they didn't.
>  And except for burning Washington DC (and I've been
> there, I would pay to have the British burn it down
> again) every one of their attacking into the US got
> whacked and whacked good.
>
> Maybe it wasn't an unmitigated victory, but we got
> what we wanted in the peace treaty.

Let's get this straight.  The U.S. launches an aggresive war.  Is
stopped
cold.  Pushed back.  And then get's the status quo of before the war in
the
peace treaty and you call it a victory?  By using your methodology,
Saddam
Hussien could call the Iran-Iraq War a victory.  Remember, Bahgdad was
not
burned, Washington was.

Prev: Re: The same old shit!!! Next: Re: [OT] Turtledove