Prev: Re: [OT] Turtledove Next: Re: Quotes

Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

--- Allan Goodall <agoodall@att.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2002 17:30:40 -0700 (PDT), John
> Atkinson
> <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >We "bombed the crap out of" second rate armies like
> >the Brits (twice),
>
> Once. You can't call the War of 1812 an American
> victory (though US schools
> try to teach it as such).

OK, so the original intent was to conquer Canada.

No problem.  Frankly, I'm glad we didn't--what would
we do with seven more states full of
pseudo-Minnessotans.

On the other hand, the Brits intended to hang onto
their positions in the Ohio valley, which they didn't.
 And except for burning Washington DC (and I've been
there, I would pay to have the British burn it down
again) every one of their attacking into the US got
whacked and whacked good.

Maybe it wasn't an unmitigated victory, but we got
what we wanted in the peace treaty.

John

Prev: Re: [OT] Turtledove Next: Re: Quotes