Prev: Re: [SG] And now for something completely on-topic. . . Next: Re: Re: Opinion - Respect

Re: [OT] Invading America

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:42:23 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Invading America

John Atkinson schrieb:

> > Hmmm... Funny how the loudest comments seem to come
> > from those countries who happen to be on an island of their own or
> > continent of their own(*).
> > But of course that's hardly militarily significant.
>
> Yeah.
>
> It makes it much harder for us to go throw the Germans
> out of France.

Pardon me, but the comparison is not very apt. In both World Wars, the
American forces were first transported to convenient ports in France
(WWI) or Britain (WWII). This does not make their subsequent successes
any smaller, but it is quite a different proposition from sailing right
across the Atlantic (or Pacific) and supporting an invasion from the
open sea.

If Canada or Mexico had had the population and industry to rival the
US, US history might have looked qute different.

While we are on the subject, recently a historian checking German
archives found plans drawn up for a German Invasion of America under
Kaiser Wilhelm before the first World War:
http://www.vizzavi.co.uk/Archive/2002/May/08-455128.html
http://www1.excite.com/home/news/news_article/0,11746,211509%7Coddlyenou
gh%7C05-08-2002::07:39%7Creuters,00.html
http://europeanhistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa050902a.htm

Could make for some interesting scenarios.

> And keep the Russians out by sheer indimidation value.

With a little help from the Brits, Germans, French, Italians, Dutch
etc...

Greetings

Prev: Re: [SG] And now for something completely on-topic. . . Next: Re: Re: Opinion - Respect