Prev: Re: THE EYES OF A SOLDIER Next: [OT] Wet Navy History, in the news

Re: [FH] FSE

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:35:54 -0700
Subject: Re: [FH] FSE

>From: KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de

>I guess the joke depends on the period you are looking at:

Taken in context of the conversation, it seemed apparent that the time
period in question was the 20th century to the present.

*SNIP*

> > the Greeks...

>Even the Germans (not to mention the Italians) acknowledged that they
>fought well in WWII. They just didn't have the ressources to fight the
>Reich.

Being a married man, I was recently subjected to the movie Captain
Corelli's
Mandolin (Small aside: Penelope Cruz is definitely some of the nicer eye

candy Hollywood's given us recently, but her acting ability is roughly
equivalent to a doorknob).  While I suppose the events surrounding the
characters themselves are fictitious, the movie makers did a
surprisingly
good job with the background history regarding WWII from a Greek
perspective.  They covered the defeat of the Italians against the Greeks
in
Albania, and the subsequent involvement of the Germans.  They also did a

good job showing greek attitudes towards both the Germans (whom they
hated
but respected), and the Italians, as well as in depicting German and
Italian
equipment and also the German treatment of Italians after the Italians
withdrew from the war.

3B^2

Prev: Re: THE EYES OF A SOLDIER Next: [OT] Wet Navy History, in the news